The “Beitzel Photo Library” available when using Logos software is a photo library of Bible locations that includes 14,000 photos of Biblical places for only $29.99. This seems like an amazing deal and it would be if any of the photos were labeled. In using the photo library most of the time I have no idea what I am looking at. So, there is random Egyptian temples and random locations in Greece… what bearing does it have for the Visual Bible Teacher? None!
If you want a good set of Bible locations pictures here are the sources listed with price:
- Padfield – This is a personal collection of photographs by the pastor of the Church of Christ in Zion. Though the labeling is not perfect, he puts a bunch of great pictures out there for you to use.
- Glo – (Update Glo desktop has become unusable, do not buy the desktop version, it needs interaction with a server, that is no longer available) From the old Bible software if you buy an old desktop copy and install it. There are around 3,000 great pictures about 25% of them are unique to logos and 75% of them are from Todd Bolen’s Bibleplaces that I will discuss next. This software should only cost you $30, but extracting the pictures is somewhat difficult. You have to copy and past the screen using windows snipping tool.
- Accordance Photo Guide – The photo guide sets from accordance are wonderful. Ton of explanatory data fantastic photos. If you get them on sale all six sets can run you under $100.
- Bible Places – Somewhat pricey and so many pictures that often time have little bearing to scripture, sometimes it is easy to get lost in a sea of irrelevant pictures. I would definitely recommend the Photo Guide above, it is less expensive, has great pictures and has more pictures from important places in Iraq and Iran, than Bible Places has.
- The Barry Beitzel Photo Library from Logos – This one as I mentioned above is not worth the $29.99 price tag because the notes and organization are so bad that it almost renders the whole thing unusable.
There you have it the best places to get great Bible location pics.